Kitty Ferguson, the award-winning and international bestselling author of Stephen Hawking's biography, presents an even deeper portrait of the legendary physicist's life and scientific theories.
This updated edition of Stephen Hawking: An Unfettered Mind looks at one of the most remarkable figures of our age: the bestselling author of A Brief History of Time, celebrated theoretical physicist, and an inspiration to millions around the world. Ferguson offers fresh insights into the way Hawking thinks and works, his ever-more-imaginative adventures in science at the "flaming ramparts of the world," the discovery of gravity waves, the blockbuster proposal for "Starshot" to explore the cosmos, and his powerful use of his celebrity on behalf of human rights and survival on earth and beyond.
With rare access to Hawking, including childhood photos and in-depth research, Ferguson creates a rich and comprehensive picture of his life: his childhood; the heartbreaking ALS diagnosis when he was a first-year graduate student; his long personal battle for survival in pursuit of a scientific understanding of the universe; and his rise to international fame. She also uses her gift for translating the language of theoretical physics into the language of the rest of us to make Hawking's scientific work accessible.
PART I: 1942-1975
1. "The quest for a theory of everything"
2. "Our goal is nothing less than a complete description of the universe we live in"
3. "Equal to anything!"
4. "The realization that I had an incurable disease, that was likely to kill me in a few years, was a bit of a shock"
5. "The big question was, was there a beginning or not?"
6. "There is a singularity in our past"
PART II: 1970-1990
7. "These people must think we are used to an astronomical standard of living"
8. "Scientists usually assume there is a unique link between the past and the future, cause and effect. If information is lost, this link does not exist"
9. "The odds against a universe that has produced life like ours are immense"
10. "In all my travels, I have not managed to fall off the edge of the world"
11. "It's turtles all the way down"
12. "The field of baby universes is in its infancy"
PART II: 1990-2000
13. "Is the end in sight for theoretical physics?"
14. "Between film roles, I enjoy solving physics problems"
15. "I think we have a good chance of avoiding both Armageddon and a new Dark Age"
16. "It seems clear to me"
PART IV: 2000-2011
17. "An expanding horizon of possibilities"
18. "Grandad has wheels"
19. "I've always gone in a somewhat different direction"
20. "My name is Stephen Hawking: physicist, cosmologist and something of a dreamer"
Suggested Further Reading