The Keyport Fire Department was created by necessity in the aftermath of the great fire of 1877, which destroyed half of the townas business center and brought the bustling early port settlement to a grinding halt. As the town was being rebuilt, citizens acted to ensure that fire would never again spread uncontrollably. By 1907, seven fire companies formed to provide hose, engine, ladder, and fire police services, with equipment drawn by hand or horses. The departmentas equipment and firefighting techniques evolved with time and technology. Keyport Firefighting chronicles more than 130 years of the firefighting men and women who lived, worked, and volunteered their services for their hometown in an effort to preserve life and property.